Computer Science Class (ages 14-18)
An introductory class to computer science with an emphasis on building desktop computers. In this class we discuss computer logic for hardware and software. Also included will be how to properly install the latest Windows operating system. Upon completion of this 8 week course students will receive a certificate of completion that can be used for documentation for their high school transcript.
Eight week course curriculum is as follows:
- Using fun with Robotics to teach Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics!
- 7 layers of the OSI model.
- Understanding what an OSI model is and how to identify each layer.
- How a to identify a computer and its components.
- What is a Computer?
- Hardware VS Software?
- Identify all the hardware components in a desktop computer?
- OS and Binary.
- How to properly install and handle computer equipment and components.
- ESD – Electrostatic discharge is the sudden flow of electricity between two electrically charged objects caused by contact, an electrical short, or dielectric breakdown.
- We will begin building the computer.
- Install Windows OS on the computer and format the drives.
- Talk about any questions or things we missed from the other sessions.
Class times TBD. Cost is $10/wk per student.